COULD IT GET ANY BETTER?
BCMG January Rodeo Kick-Off Speaker & Meeting on Thu, Jan 17, from 5:30-8pm AND Maroon “Aggie” Poppies for Sale!!
- Get your Rodeo release form notarized beginning at 5:30pm and also drop off your Membership Dues check!
- Bring your favorite Chili or Cornbread to share from 6-6:40pm.
- Buy plants from 6:40-7pm (learn all about “Grant’s Garnet” below).
- Hear Jackie Van de Walle from S.A.L.E. the Rodeo, It’s Legacy and Educational Impact at 7pm.
- And, most importantly, bring your calendar and SIGN UP for RODEO SHIFTS!
All happening at 3355 Cherry Ridge, Suite 208, 78230. 1 CEU; Code: 002.
Jackie Van De Walle began her work as a volunteer with SA Stock Show & Rodeo [also known as San Antonio Livestock Exposition, Inc.-S.A.L.E.] back in the early 1980s. She became a life member in 1984, a director in 1986, and was a Hall of Fame Inductee in 2013.
4 ½” pots of Papaver laciniatum “Grant’s Garnet’” will be available for purchase at $3 each or 4 plants for $10. These plants are the perfect-size transplant to set out now in our cooler weather (similar to a larkspur or bluebonnet transplant). This seedling selection was made and isolated by Greg Grant in his garden from a batch of double red poppies originally collected from a garden near Johnson City. Poppies are cool season annuals that are planted in full sun on bare prepared soil transplants in winter and bloom in the spring before setting seed and dying with the heat. Single flowered and red flowered plants should be removed leaving only the double maroons for seed parents. Give each plant a minimum of one square foot to grow. Fertilize once in the spring depending on how the plants look before they bolt and bloom. Don’t over fertilize however or they’ll will collapse and all over. And PULL UP any singles, reds, or anything not fully double and maroon.
BCMGs (if you have not done so already!), please pay your 2019 Annual Membership Dues of $25, either online or by mail not later than January 31, 2019. Visit the Membership Dues page on the BCMG website for details and to pay online!
NEXT BCMG Board Meeting will take place 2:30-4:30pm on Thu, Jan 17, at 3355 Cherry Ridge 78230. If you are interested in placing items on the agenda, email President Grace Emery by Fri, Jan 11. And, all members are welcome to observe the meetings; however, in order to accommodate seating, please email President Grace Emery that you will be attending.
STILL NEED HELP writing BCMG award submissions this month for the 2018 Texas Search for Excellence Awards Program sponsored by the Texas Master Gardener Association (TMGA). Please email Grace Emery if you would like to to help in any way! You can find details on the Awards Program at the TMGA website.
NOTE: Texas AgriLife Extension Service and Bexar County Master Gardeners offices will be closed on Monday, January 21, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Registration OPEN for the Spring 2019 Children’s Vegetable Garden Program at SABOT. Program will include sixteen Saturdays from March 2nd to June 15th. Time to share with family & friends!
Registration Now Open for the 2019 TGMA Conference which will be held April 25-27, 2019 and is being hosted by Victoria County Master Gardener Association. Great speakers, plenty of good food, wonderful tours and garden-crafty workshops are planned for you! Registration now thru Feb 28 = $175; from Mar 1 to Apr 1 = $200. Leadership training will be held on April 24th. Visit the Conference website for tons of information!
The 17th biennial conference for the international master gardener community, Penn’s Woods: Digging into Our Roots, will be held June 17-21, 2019 at the Valley Forge Casino Resort, Valley Forge, PA. Online registration will open soon and you can subscribe to the IMGC newsletter for conference updates.
THIS SATURDAY OR NEXT TUESDAY
RODEO SHIFT MANAGER TRAINING
WHO: All Rodeo volunteers who signed up to be a Shift Manager (iPad & Cash Handler) and anyone interested in being a Shift Manager, but has yet to sign up!
When & Where: Sat, Jan 12, 10 am – Noon OR Tue, Jan 15, 1 – 3 pm in the large Meeting Room at Extension
- Overview of Shift Manager position (new for 2019)
- Instruction on iPad use & maintenance
- Instruction on Rodeo cash handling procedures (new for 2019)
Please sign up on VMS for the training date of your choice! All Shift Managers need to attend one of the training classes! Earn two VH (Volunteer Hours), Code: 400, Description: Rodeo – Shift Manager Mtg.
For more information email: Grace Emery BCMG President or Lynn Cox, BCMG Vice President.
FOR ALL OUR GARDENING FRIENDS!
If you have thought about becoming a Master Gardener, start planning for Master Gardener Intern Training Class 63.
- Class 63 starts August 21, 2019; classes meet every Wednesday from Noon – 4 pm for 13 weeks
- Cost: $260 payable in full on the 1st day of class
- Application available online early May (BCMG website)
- Application deadline: June 17, 2019
- Approved applications must attend a group interview (Group Interviews in July)
- For more information visit Bexar County Master Gardeners website at www.bexarmg.org or Bexar County website at https://bexar-tx.tamu.edu
SIGN-UP for VOLUNTEER EVENTS using the Event Calendar in the VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM – VMS. Find number of volunteers still needed, who has signed up, Project Code and even request an event reminder! REMEMBER: If you volunteer for any event and have a last minute change of plans, please contact the coordinator listed on VMS to let them know! 2019 VMS Codes are HERE!
Need 2-3 volunteers to help Clean and Prep Backdrops for the San Antonio Rodeo HEB Tent on Tue, Jan 15, 10am at Ext Offices, 3355 Cherry Ridge Dr, 78230. VMS Code: 400 – SA Rodeo
INSECT EXPO: Molly Keck is hosting an Insect Expo on Tue, Feb 26 & Wed, Feb 27 (set-up on Mon, Feb 25) at the McKenna Children’s Museum, 801 W San Antonio St, New Braunfels, TX 78130. Designed as a fun interactive learning experience for the students and an opportunity for “hands on” learning, students will have time to explore and learn from each topic, ask questions and learn by experience. These are our future botanists, entomologists, environmental and conservation advocates, professors, teachers, and agricultural leaders. Training for booth events will take place Thu, Feb 21. For details, and to sign up, please visit: https://txmg.org/comal/projects/insect-expo/ To get a great idea of this awesome event, view this YouTube Video. Email Molly Keck if you have any questions!
MGs Who Completed SABOT Culinary Docent Training!
Volunteers Needed: 10am – 1pm on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays January thru March. VMS has all dates/times for sign-ups!
Coming up in March for Youth Gardens Program
- Help at Locke Hill Elementary, 5050 De Zavala Rd, 78249 on Wed, Mar 20, 2019 from 3-4pm to educate our local youth about gardening, insects, soil, and veggies! Need two volunteers to facilitate the Veggie Game lesson. Email Ruby Zavala for details. 2018 Code 980e – School Gardens; 2019 Code 1200 – Youth
- Need 30 volunteers to help set up breakfast and lunch for 100 teachers, organize plants outside, be a time keeper, and help the teachers for the 2019 Spring Youth Garden Educator Training on Sat, Mar 2, 2019, from 7:30am-3pm (lunch will be provided)at Northside Activity Center, 7001 Culebra Rd, 78238. Check VMS for sign-ups! Email Ruby Zavalawith any questions. Vol Code: 1200
- Need 8 volunteers each day to help pass out activities and to help students make crafts for Spring Break Camp, March 11-13, 2019, from 8am-3pm (lunch will be provided) at Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Offices, 3355 Cherry Ridge Dr., 78230. We expect to have 25 students and the more adults present will make it a better learning environment for our students. Check VMS for sign-ups! Email Ruby Zavalawith any questions. Vol Code: 1200
RODEO 2019 Just Around the Corner
(Feb 7 -24; Construction starts Jan 22)
Volunteer NOW with Construction Chair, Rich Geisler (Construction Dates are Jan 22-Feb 6); Van Drivers Chairs, Brian and Candy Roach; Hospitality Chair, Susan Noonan; Watering Team Lead, Ted Ritchie., and Mary Mangiapane, Volunteer Coordinator for all other Rodeo Volunteer Shifts (Plant Sales/MG Booth – Greeters – School Tour Docents – Adopt-a-Tree – and more!)
All shift managers must plan to attend Rodeo Shift Manager Training scheduled for Tues, Jan 15th, 1 pm-3pm, or on Sat, Jan 19th, 10am – Noon at the large Ext meeting room. Sign up on VMS!
!!! WEBSITE RODEO 2019 PAGE can now be found under the Members tab on the home page menu bar! You’ll find all the BCMG Rodeo information and updates there.
Everyone must have a Release and Indemnification Agreement Form. You can have your form notarized at the Jan 17 BCMG Meeting and submit it at the meeting! Completed form is due not later than Jan 18, must be printed out double-sided, notarized, and mailed to:
ATTN: Rodeo Form
Bexar County Master Gardeners
3355 Cherry Ridge, Ste. 208
San Antonio, TX 78230
Or, drop-off with Nick at the Extension Office front desk.
NOTE! Add to your Contacts List: Shuttle Driver number for the entire Rodeo is (210) 319-9997.
You can learn about Little Buckaroo Farms where BCMG will be located on the SA Stock Show & Rodeo website.
See all the Details for Classes in the Bexar County area on the MG Calendar! Classes listed below may be of special interest to you:
Don’t Miss First BROWN BAG LUNCH & LEARN of 2019: Understanding Your Soil; THIS FRIDAY, Jan 11 from Noon to 1pm @ 3355 Cherry Ridge, Suite 208, 78230.
BCMG January Rodeo Kick-Off Speaker & Meeting: Plan to join us and bring your favorite Chili or Cornbread to share while we hear a special Rodeo History presentation on Thu, Jan 17, from 6-8pm at 3355 Cherry Ridge, Suite 208, 78230. Bring your calendar and sign up for Rodeo Shifts. 1 CEU; Code: 002.
Mark Your Calendar for Three Free Seminars in January:
- THIS SATURDAY! Growing A Family Home Orchard presented by David Rodriguez on Sat, Jan 12, 10:30am – Noon at Milberger’s Landscaping & Nursery, 3920 N Loop 1604 E.
- Fruit Tree Basics presented by Dr. Larry Stein on Sat, Jan 19, 9am – Noon at Fanick’s Garden Center, 1025 Holmgreen Road.
- Growing Backyard Fruit Trees presented by David Rodriguez on Sat, Jan 26, 10:45am – Noon at The Garden Center, 10682 Bandera Rd.
BCMGs earn 3 CEUs, Code 001.
Learn from Master Gardeners at these 2019 Speakers Bureau Presentations:
- Growing Herbs with Don Crites, hosted by San Antonio OASIS at 2201 St. Cloud, 78228 on Wed, Feb 13, 10:30am – Noon. 1.5 CEUs, Code: 001
- Xeriscaping with Oliver Smith, hosted by San Antonio OASIS, at 2201 St. Cloud, 78228 on Tue, Apr 16, from 10:30am – Noon. 1.5 CEUs, Code: 001
BE SURE TO MARK YOUR 2019 CALENDAR FOR THESE GREAT CLASSES!
AND OUR NEW LUNCH TIME TREATS!
And remember, you can find all the TEXAS MASTER GARDENER ADVANCED (formerly Specialist) COURSES offered at the TMGA website. If you are interested in attending any courses, please email David Rodriguez, Extension Agent-Horticulture, Bexar County. BCMG CEU Code: 001.
Home Fruit (South Texas) – Feb. 7-8, 2019, hosted by Gonzales County, Gonzales
Vegetables – Feb. 13-15, 2019, hosted by Dallas County, Dallas
Tree Care – Mar. 13-15, 2019, hosted by Dallas County, Dallas
Tree Care – Jun. 12-14, 2019, hosted by Kerr County, Kerrville
Save the Dates (More Info Coming Soon):
Turfgrass – Mar. 14-15, 2019, hosted by Montgomery County, Conroe
Earth-Kind® – May 16-18, 2019, hosted by Henderson County, Athens
Vegetables – Aug. 13-15, 2019, hosted by Bexar County, San Antonio
Landscape Design School: Series XXVI, Course II will be held February 25-26, in College Station. Offered in four parts, this course totals 48 CEUs and qualifies Master Gardeners for the designation of “Landscape Design Steward.” Get all the details online!
Great Gardening Events on the BCMG January Calendars. Bookmark the Calendar and visit it frequently! Here is a sample of what is coming up over the next week:
- Jan 10 – Anise Hyssop: Herb of the Year for 2020
- Jan 11 – San Antonio River: History, Culture, and Lessons for Landscape
- Jan 12 – From the Kitchen to the Spa — Sandy Oaks Olive Orchard
- Jan 14 – What’s New In Roses?
- Jan 15 – Protecting Plants from Deer
- Jan 16 – Haworthias
Help Out With Can Collection!!
Molly Keck is looking for large, clean, empty cans with tops removed (larger than typical veggie can sizes; metal, plastic or cardboard) for building native pollinator homes for an educational program. Please drop off at the Bexar County Extension Office, 3355 Cherry Ridge, Suite 212 (or in Suite 208 if you are there attending a meeting anyway!). Collecting December through March!
For SAWS customers, check out Watersaver Coupons & Rebates! And, watch for news on the WaterSaver Rewards 2019 program; no re-registration for 2019; keep using your same rewards number for 2019 at the events you attend and your points start as “0” on Jan 1.